Since 1915, Iowa Farmers Union members have worked together to strengthen the independent family farm through education, legislation and cooperation and to provide Iowans with sustainable production, safe food, a clean environment and healthy communities. IFU is a grassroots member organization of family farmers and ranchers, farm and food advocates, and consumers committed to a set of shared values for economically and environmentally sustainable family farm agriculture in Iowa. The key to our success is our grassroots structure, with policy positions and priorities initiated and approved by our members:
Iowa Farmers Union 2014 Legislative Priorities
These priorities, developed and approved by our members at the most recent IFU state convention, are intended to serve as a guide for our state-level policy advocacy efforts during the 2014 Iowa Legislative Session and throughout the year.
- Priority 1: Incorporate improved accountability, prioritization of funding, numeric goals, and timelines into the strategy to reduce nitrogen and phosphorus pollution in Iowa watersheds.
- Priority 2: Eliminate the property tax exemption for CAFO manure storage facilities; tax animal confinement buildings at the industrial rate, except where there is local ownership of the property, buildings and animals by the same entity.
- Priority 3: Promote and expand local and regional food systems in Iowa, via:
- Programs and financial assistance to facilitate the creation of local food hubs that are cooperatively owned and operated by local food producers.
- Tax and financial incentives for new state-inspected meat processing plants, including mobile slaughtering units.
- Priority 4: Reduce incidents of negligent spray application of agricultural chemicals and improve legal and financial protections where spray drift results in damages.
Download a 1-page summary of the 2014 IFU Legislative Priorities to share with your local legislators.
Iowa Farmers Union 2013-2014 Legislative Policy
Our annual legislative priorities are developed from a more comprehensive policy document that is reviewed, debated and approved by IFU members each year at our annual state convention. This document contains the official legislative policy of the Iowa Farmers Union on a broad range of federal and state policy topics.
View the complete 2013-2014 IFU Legislative Policy approved by our members at the most recent IFU state convention.
*Both the 2014 IFU Legislative Priorities and the 2013-2014 IFU Legislative Policy were debated and approved by IFU members at the 2013 IFU State Convention on November 16, 2013 in Des Moines.