Since 1915, Iowa Farmers Union members have worked together to strengthen the independent family farm through education, legislation and cooperation and to provide Iowans with sustainable production, safe food, a clean environment and healthy communities.
IFU is an organization of family farmers and ranchers, advocates and consumers committed to a more sustainable Iowa agricultural future. We are especially interested in food, energy, and local control issues. If you are interested in holding an educational meeting in your area, please contact IFU Managing Director Jana Linderman.
Iowa Farmers Union 2013 legislative priorities:
- Promote sustainable local food systems by implementing recommendations from the Local Food, Farms, and Jobs report created by the Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture;
- Encourage development of locally-owned and controlled renewable energy;
- Oppose any changes to the current prohibition of spreading manure on frozen or snow-covered land;
- Eliminate property tax exemption on CAFO manure storage facilities, tax animal confinement buildings at the industrial rate if property owner does not own the livestock, and support reforming Tax Increment Financing (TIF); and
- Fight the use of Eminent Domain to remove farmland from production for any reason.
We believe these goals can be accomplished through education, legislation, and cooperation.
View our 2012-13 legislative policy approved by our members at the 2012 IFU State Convention.