We need your help making phone calls today and tomorrow!
Current efforts to defund and dismantle the Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture are taking place via the end-of-year appropriations process, with almost no notice or opportunity for members of the public to weigh in. As all of our farmer members know, this is a particularly busy time of year on the farm, and a convenient opportunity to slip through a last-minute controversial measure that will hurt family farms across Iowa.
Iowa House rules allow for legislators to request a public hearing on any pending legislation; if a request for a public hearing is made, House leadership has to schedule and hold a public hearing within 4 days.
We urgently need your phone calls to the following legislators, asking them to request a public hearing on continuing funding and support for the Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture:
All members can be reached via the House switchboard at (515) 281-3221. Minority Leader Mark Smith can also be reached via his office phone at (515) 281-3054.
- Rep. Mark Smith (Marshalltown) – House Minority Leader; Office Phone: (515) 281-3054
- Rep. Todd Prichard (Charles City) – Ranking Member, House Agriculture Committee
- Rep. Scott Ourth (Ackworth) – Ranking Member, House Ag & Natural Resources Appropriations Subcommittee
- Rep. Chris Hall (Sioux City) – Ranking Member, House Appropriations Committee
- Rep. Wes Breckenridge (Newton) – Co-Chair, House Rural Caucus
- Rep. Amy Nielson (North Liberty) – Co-Chair, House Rural Caucus
When you call, tell them why the Leopold Center matters to you, and ask them request a public hearing on the proposal to defund and dismantle the Center.
WE NEED YOUR CALLS TODAY AND TOMORROW MORNING BEFORE 11:00AM.