NFU Women’s Conference
The 2014 NFU Women’s Conference was held in January in Clearwater Beach, Florida and offered an opportunity for Farmers Union women from around the country to meet, share their stories, hear from women leaders, attend educational workshops on farm business planning and management, and work together to develop skills and strategies for pursuing leadership opportunities.
The 2015 NFU Women’s Conference will be held in January in the same location. Scholarships are available for participants. Applications will be available starting in November.
NFU Beginning Farmers Institute
The NFU Beginning Farmers Institute provides an opportunity for beginning farmers and farm couples from around the country to network and develop their leadership and farm business management skills through a series of interactive educational sessions. The year-long BFI program includes three main in-person sessions:
- a September session in Washington, DC that includes an opportunity to participate in the NFU Fall Legislative Fly-in;
- a November session in Minneapolis that includes farm tours and an opportunity to tour and learn about local cooperatives; and
- a March session that includes an opportunity to attend and participate in the National Farmers Union Annual Convention.
The 2014 application deadline for BFI has been extended to Monday, April 7. You can download the application form here.
NFU Fall Legislative Fly-In
The annual NFU Fall Legislative Fly-In provides an opportunity for Farmers Union members from around the country to travel to Washington, DC and participate in grassroots lobbying efforts on Capitol Hill. IFU leaders and members have the chance during this annual gathering to meet with members of the Iowa congressional delegation and their staff and talk about the challenges and opportunities facing family farms in Iowa.
IFU provides two scholarships each year to allow first-time participants to attend the Fall Legislative Fly-In. Scholarship applications and registration for the upcoming fly-in will be available starting in June.
IFU Educational Webinars
IFU offers educational webinars for our members on a variety of topics related to policy and leadership development. Our 2013 educational webinars included:
- Introduction to Federal Farm Policy & Advocacy
- Introduction to Iowa Farm Policy & Advocacy
- Understanding the Federal Food Safety & Modernization Act (co-sponsored by National Farmers Union, the USDA Natural Resource Conservation Service, the U.S. Food & Drug Administration and the National Association of Conservation Districts)
To hear about future educational webinars hosted by IFU, please sign up to receive IFU email updates.
IFU Educational Workshops
IFU sponsors educational workshops each year on a variety of topics, primarily at the IFU Annual Convention in November. The 2013 IFU Annual Convention included workshops on:
- farmland access & affordability
- federal programs for beginning farmers
- risk management considerations for beginning farmers
- local foods marketing
- food safety regulation
- policy priorities for beginning farmers
- Iowa’s strategy to reduce farm-based nitrogen & phosphorus pollution
- risk management considerations for direct market farms
To hear about future educational workshops hosted by IFU, please sign up to receive IFU email updates.
Questions? Please contact email@example.com