With the 2017 legislative session in full swing, we need your help reaching out Iowa legislators about our IFU legislative priorities.
We rely on the grassroots advocacy of our members in the work that we do advocating for Iowa’s independent family farmers and building a more sustainable, diverse, and resilient farm & food economy.
There are 3 great ways for you to get involved:
- Join your fellow IFU members and farm & food advocates talking to legislators during our annual Farm & Food Lobby Day at the State Capitol in Des Moines. This year’s Lobby Day is on Thursday, February 2. Visit our events calendar for information about additional lobby days hosted by IFU’s coalition partners during the 2017 legislative session.
- Attend a legislative forum with your local legislators. Legislators attend forums and community events around the state throughout the legislative session, and we regularly share a schedule of those events via our IFU email list and social media.
- A phone call to your legislator is a quick and easy way to make your voice heard. You can find your legislators and their contact information on the Iowa Legislature website, or you can call the State Capitol switchboard and ask to be connected with your legislator (Senate: (515) 281-3371; House: (515) 281-3221).
This is your opportunity to get involved and share your ideas and questions about the direction of Iowa’s farm & food policy!
We have prepared a basic one-page handout to help you talk to your legislators about our priority issues, including:
- Restoring water quality
- Promoting independent family livestock farms
- Protecting farms from pesticide drift
- Growing local food systems
If you would like some postcards with our member priorities to share at an event, please email Deborah Bunka at email@example.com or call (515) 451-8492.
For more information about IFU legislative policy and our member priorities, visit our Legislative Policy Page.