Please support SF2290 and an improved pesticide spray drift reporting system for Iowa farmers!
SF 2290 does the following:
(1) Directs IDALS to allow for on-line reporting of drift incidents
(2) Directs IDALS to send samples collected in drift investigations to the State Hygienic Lab
(3) Appropriates civil fines collected by IDALS in drift investigations back to IDALS to pay for testing by the State Hygienic Lab
- The current system for pesticide drift reporting is outdated and inconvenient. When a farmer has been drifted on they are required to submit a report to the Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship (IDALS) over the phone during business hours. Online reporting would make it a lot easier to immediately report drift incidents, and allow farmers to directly file written incident reports in their own words thus improving the accuracy of reporting.
- If a farmer is able to file a report they won’t receive their results from IDALS for 6-8 months. This delay in test results is unacceptable to farmers who may not have been able to get in touch with the person or company who applied the chemicals, and are waiting for information about what chemicals their crops, their animals, their workers, and their families have been exposed to.
- The long delay for test results is particularly problematic for farmers with specialty certifications such as ‘organic’ or ‘chemical free’ that are vital to marketing and pricing, or for farmers who grow food crops that may have been exposed to chemicals not approved for human consumption. Losing an entire harvest or season to an unknown chemical exposure can be financially devastating
- Iowa’s State Hygienic Lab currently processes identical field samples for the state departments of agriculture in Missouri and Nebraska as part of their official pesticide drift investigation process. They have sufficient staff, equipment, and workload to take the turnaround time from 6-8 months to just 2-4 weeks.
- Read the bill at the Iowa State Legislature’s website.
Contact the Subcommittee for SF2290